I'm starting a series of mini experiments with Sign-of-the-CrossFit, ya know that insane thing I talked about last time? Read it here.
So yea, my first month is going to be a general experiment...a litmus test if you will. I only have a question--no hypothesis (get off my back scientists).
How much will my body change by going to the SotCF gym twice a week?
Step 1: Get a starting point (Complete)
My pre-experiment measurements are transcribed. I'm not going to share them with you because I am a woman and reserve the right to either lie about anything body-related or withhold an answer. It's just the way things are. BUT I will take the same measurements post-experiment and provide you with the delta (for non-math and science folks, that means change).
If you have any other suggestions for future experiments or anything you'd like me to try before you try it, leave me a comment!
Step 2: Go to SotCF twice a week (In Progress)
Alright, here's the deal-io:
The WOD for class 1 (remember WOD="incredibly difficult Workout Of the Day". "Incredibly" and "difficult" are both silent.)
AMRAP 10
- 500m row
- 8 overhead squats
- 8 pull-ups
...AND THEN...
AMRAP 10
- 400m run
- 8 power snatches
- 8 burpees
AMRAP=As Many Reps As Possible in the time they give you. So 10 = 10 minutes. I like "AMRAPs" better than "For Times", which I'll explain when a WOD with "For Time" comes up.
People, I'm short. I mean not THAT short. But noticeably short. Rowing HATES me. I HATE rowing. No matter how fast I go, I still finish last. @#$(*@%@&#$). That's how I feel about that. And in case you were wondering 500m is a lonnnnnnnnng distance when you aren't actually going anywhere.
Overhead squats are pretty self explanatory. You put a bar with weight on it over your head and then squat and then stand up and then squat and then stand up...etcetera. Dancer legs have made me pick up SotCF squats fairly quickly though (thank you life-long dancing). However, after rowing 500m, they ain't so simple.
**During the warm-up, our coaches made us do warm-up squats-from-hell every time a particular song said "down", and stand back up every time the song said "up". People...this was evil. But a good evil. That makes sense, right?
Power snatches are...well...I'm still mastering those. I'll get back to you when I get good at them.
I'm not going to explain burpees. They basically suck the life out of you and make you wish for anything else. But believe it or not, they weren't my least favorite in this WOD.
Any idea what my least favorite part was? Take a guess...
In conclusion, my favorite memory of this class will be the moment the song started playing for the warm-up squats-from-hell. "Bring daddy up. Bring daddy down." The song makes no sense, and it took me a while to stop laughing and realize how much the squats-from-hell were starting to hurt.
P.S. I just googled this song and apparently the lyrics are "Green Sally Up. Green Sally down." ...which I don't understand. I like my version better. They should re-write the song. Just sayin'
No comments:
Post a Comment