Monday, July 21, 2014

Personal Record Madness

Last week was a big week for me. I got a PR (which means Personal Record for all my non-weight lifting readers). 

Do you guys remember approximately 2 months ago when I hurt my back due to bad form? If not, click here to read "It's a Pain in the 'Back'". Well, if you didn't click the link, the move I was doing was a back squat. And I was supporting a whopping 65 lbs. I know, impressive, right? Nope, especially considering my monstrous thighs. I should be able to lift up houses with these babies.

So last week, we had a test on back squats. I surprised myself and I think everyone else around me when I had maxed out at 120 lbs. Yes, you read that correctly. I successfully back squatted almost twice as much weight as I did when I hurt myself. And, it was only 2 months after I injured myself! Say, what?! Yea, I was shocked too--my thighs finally showed up.

That just goes to show what good form can do for you. Some day I hope to be able to back squat my body weight. It won't take too long if my body weight comes down to meet my squatting weight in the middle :)

Now I can't wait for my next PR. What's next? Snatches, perhaps? Still workin' on those push-ups too...

Just don't forget people: Form trumps weight. Quality trumps quantity. The importance of that should never go unnoticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment