Super Bowl Sunday tends to be one of those days during the year that calories, fat, sugar, and cholesterol don't count--like Thanksgiving and Christmas (and of course Easter and Halloween if you are around children)! For some people, every Sunday during football season is a calories-don't-count day. Funny how that works. Listen folks, I love nachos, cheesy dips, football-shaped cupcakes, hamburgers, and Sam Adams. But in order to truly live healthy, we've gotta make some cuts (and I say 'we' because I need to focus this Sunday too).
Here are some ideas to help cut down the calories you consume on Super Bowl Sunday:
1. Stick with light beer. I know it's not as delicious as your real beers, but it's worth the extra 100 calories PER BEER! Because let's not lie, you will be drinking more than 1 beer on Sunday...a lot more. A Bud Light has 110 calories. Sam Adams Winter Lager has 193 calories per bottle (tap most likely has more) according to My Fitness Pal. The darker the beer, the more calories. Just sayin.
2. Opt for the chicken wings. This also depends on how they are cooked. Stay away from the breaded ones...you might as well just eat the unhealthy foods if you get the breaded ones. The calorie counts for chicken wings are all over the place. It depends on so many factors including how it's cooked, glaze, dipping sauce, breaded vs. not breaded, skin vs. no skin. In general, go for not breaded, no skin, and skip the dipping sauces. Getting rid of those things takes off a ton of calories! Keep in mind: most chicken wings ring in at under 100 calories (per wing), which is better than some alternatives, but still be sure to moderate.
**Check this site out: Nutrition Facts and Analysis. That's where I got some of my calorie counts for the aforementioned foods.
3. Veggies. Almost every Super Bowl party has a veggie platter. Hang out around that one! Fill up on veggies first thing, and then you won't be able to fit as much of the bad stuff in that tummy.
4. Say no to hot dogs and hamburgers. If you have the option, see if your friend will throw a turkey burger or chicken breast on the grill for you. If you are at a bar, most places now have a turkey burger option. Here's another hint for sandwiches--only eat half the bun...the bread is not the tasty part anyway.
5. Chips...are the devil. They are delicious and salty and have fabulous dips right next to them. Try to moderate your intake of these little gremlins. Just try.
6. Sweet potato fries. Do I really have to convince you to do this? They are delicious. They still aren't the greatest option for you because they are cooked in a ton of unnecessary grease, but if you just GOTTA get your french fry fix on, go for the sweet potato ones.
7. Don't eat the sweets. Okay, believe me, I love chocolate and sugar. But Super Bowl Sunday is about the beer and man-food...not the sweets. Save your sweet-attributed calories for V-Day.
8. Eat with water. Even just a sip after every bite or every other bite will help keep you in check.
9. Don't regress to your college years. Chugging contests aren't worth the calories unless you have the metabolism of a baby horse. Savor the beer...you drink less of it that way. And don't play Power Hour to pre-game. Our bodies can't handle that junk anymore.
10. Work out BEFORE the game. Lord knows no one will be working out during or after the game, so why not go before? You'll feel good about yourself...I promise. (Now I HAVE to workout before the game because I just told all of you to do it...ugh!)
Now go have fun football junkies!!
No comments:
Post a Comment