Welcome back! Hope you all had a healthy week. I've decided to post a recipe this week. Most recipes I post will be either stolen from someone else and/or made by someone else. I'm not a bad cook, I just get bored while doing it. Don't judge me.
This week, the boyfran (that's southern for boyfriend) made me dinner when I got back to the city from a distant dance competition. This is how the conversation went. Please note, this is a standard conversation for us:
Me: "Will you cook me dinner?"
Boyfran: "Sure. What do you want?"
Moi: "Something healthy."
Boyfran: "Do you have your spaghetti?"
(By "your" spaghetti, he meant whole wheat spaghetti. Of course I do! It's a healthy eaters staple. If you don't have it on hand, get it. It tastes better than white pasta and has more nutritional value. You aren't eating less calories or carbohydrates, but you are getting more nutritional value for what you are eating.)
Moi: "yup!"
Boyfran: "Alright, I'll look into it."
So he gets to my apartment and whips out this bag of yogurt sauce that he had created. Basically, it's tahini but used as a spaghetti sauce. We also figured out the difference between tahini and tzatziki. Tahini has garlic in it and tzatziki has cucumber. Both delicious. One makes your breath smell worse than the others. Take your pick. Here are some links on Tahini Nutrition and Tzatziki Nutrition. Middle eastern food is generally rather healthy.
So he sautées some chicken and asparagus (my fave veggie EVAH!) and red peppers, boils the pasta, and then mixes it up. This is a great alternative to Alfredo sauce. No, it doesn't taste exactly like Alfredo, but the healthy meter is off the charts compared to Alfredo sauce. You can find the recipe here:
Yogurt sauce deliciousness
We've already decided we are having it again some time this week. But maybe we'll add more things and experiment: shrimp? broccoli? carrots? portabello? onion?
You can also use the sauce as a dipping sauce for whole wheat bread or fresh veggies. It would also be a good alternative to mayonnaise after it sits for a day in the fridge to thicken up. Yum.
Try this out guys. The nutrition facts are at the bottom of the link and it's very filling. You get a lot of bang for your nutritional buck with this one.
Happy eating :)
No comments:
Post a Comment