Thursday, October 18, 2012

Insanity: no word is more accurate

On January 1, 2011, I started a journey that would change how I looked at exercise forever. This was the day I became Insane, the day I took the first Insanity Fit Test (more on the Fit Test later). I was in decent shape and mainly just wanted to increase my upper body strength and core strength. Little did I know that Insanity would also increase my endurance tremendously, tone my legs more than they already were, and cause me to lose 10-15 lbs that I didn't even intend on losing. 

Starting that day, I followed the Insanity workout calendar every single day until its completion (that is 9 weeks including the rest week in between Month 1 and Month 2. For the record, I followed my typical healthy diet--mainly based on the Weight Watchers system--not the diet plan provided with the DVDs. My results might have been even better had I followed the Insanity diet plan.) Before completing the Fit Test, I could barely do real pushups--I did girl pushups, ya know...the ones where you rest on your knees instead of your toes. By the end of the 9 weeks, I had a legit 4-pack, toned arms, crazy endurance, legs that could scare Chuck Norris, and a sense of accomplishment that no one could ever take away.

I'm not gonna lie to you folks; it was tough. The first 2 weeks were brutal because I woke up sore every morning. It took a lot of will power and drive to make myself do the workouts. But those 35-45 minutes of solid sweat were worth it. Speaking of sweat. Holy sweat balls! People, you start sweating during the warm-up. It's insane (pun very intended).

Here's a quick synopsis of the 13 workouts (don't worry, they provide a big, pretty calendar that tells you exactly what workout to do on each day).

  • First, you take the 15-minute Fit Test 5 times throughout the program. This is a series of different exercises and you count the number of times you can do that exercise in 1 minute and write it down. You track it each time you do the Fit Test. This was my favorite day because I improved EVERY SINGLE TIME (even with the exercises I hated with all the fires of Hell.)

Side note, the Warm-up of every single video was more of a workout than most people ever get by just going to the gym. I can't stress this enough. It really makes you think about how you typically do your workouts. 

Your body is capable of much more than you think!

  • The Plyometric Cardio Circuit, Cardio Power and Resistance, and Pure Cardio are each about 45 minutes long and do exactly what they describe. They all use max interval training, which is basically just an extreme form of circuit training. You know that "I'm sweating so much, I might drown in my own sweat and so out of breath, I've utilized all of the oxygen in the room" feeling? Probably not if you haven't done Insanity. That's how you feel approximately 97% of the time during these workouts (inaccurate statistic).
  • Cardio Recovery is the video you do once a week during the first month to "recover". (ha!) You have 5 hard workouts a week, 1 workout to stretch and release your muscles (this one) and 1 day to do nothing. This is the workout you really look forward to every week. Imagine holding your breath out for a really long time and then taking a big deep breath in. That big deep breath is Cardio Recovery.
  • Cardio Abs is a 16-miniute video that kills your abs. It's awesome. I still do it when I can. No sit-ups or crunches, just standing abs and the C-sit position. It works (it got me my 4-pack--that is now gone. oops)
  • Core Cardio and Balance is the video you do every day during the recovery week in between Months 1 and 2. It's a combination of yoga and pilates targeted to really give your muscles and joints a break before the craziness that is Month 2. After doing such intense workouts for a month, this one gets kind of boring to do every day for a week. You just think, "dude, is that all you've got? Bring it!"
  • Well he brings it in the next month with Max Interval Circuit, Max Interval Plyo, and Max Cardio Conditioning--the Month 2 workouts. Imagine the Month 1 workouts took steroids...that's Month 2. They are each 10-15 minutes longer and more difficult. It hurts so good.
  • Max Recovery is the equivalent to Cardio Recovery but a little more difficult because it is Month 2. It's like an even bigger, deeper breath.
  • Insane Abs is the roided-out (may or may not have invented this word) version of Cardio Abs for Month 2.
  • Max Interval Sports Training is an extra video. It's really really tough. Quite an accomplishment to finish this one. I think I only did it once so I shouldn't really write about it. Fail.
Let's talk about max interval training for a minute. This method of circuit training has you increase your pulse to a very high rate and push hard for a 3-4 minutes followed by a short 30-second rest. Then you do it over and over and over etc. That 30 seconds is just enough time for you to take the biggest, fastest gulp of water ever. I probably looked like a dog during these 30 seconds. You know how dogs act when they are even the least bit thirsty and get around water of any kind. They lap up the water like there's no tomorrow and end up getting more water on the floor than in their mouths. I'm gonna go with a Great Dane because they're huge like me (not, I have little woman syndrome-don't judge.) Here is a link giving an overview and strengths/weaknesses about max interval training.

A few positive things about this program. Safety! Shaun T (the Insanest of the Insane) is a huge proponent of safety and hydration on the video. He has the perfect balance of pushing you so hard you want to punch the television and reminding you to be safe and rest if your body needs it. There are even words scrolling at the bottom reminding you to stay safe, rest if your form starts to diminish, and hydrate often.

Another thing I loved seeing was how hard the athletes on the video had to work. Most workout videos show these people in amazing shape and say "You could look like this after 1 month of doing this video!" They're all smiley and barely breaking a sweat. Their hair looks perfect and their chiseled abs make you feel like a failure (too far? probskies.) Insanity marathon runners, fitness instructors, spinning instructors, dancers, etc. These people are in fantabulous shape and still sweating so much even their eyes start sweating (or were those tears-just kidding, sort of). They have to take breaks just like you do. It's so refreshing to see a video portray the difficulty level accurately.

Listen guys, this is a tough gig. It takes dedication and motivation. If I had the time to stick with it, I'd do it again in a heart beat. It definitely worked because I have never in my life felt as healthy as I did for the few months following Insanity. The results lasted for quite a while too (of course results don't last forever if you don't keep it up).

I highly suggest this program if toning and endurance are things at the top of your list. This is a program designed for people who are already in decent shape. If you are starting from scratch, I do not suggest this program yet! (yet is the key word) 

Here is the link to Insanity. You can also buy it on amazon or ebay though I'm sure. Mine still sits next to my DVD player and it is my go-to workout when I have the time and energy.

DIG DEEPER!! -Shaun T

No comments:

Post a Comment