Thursday, March 7, 2013

Why won't my eye stop twitching?!?!

Don't lie, folks...You alllll know what I'm talking about.

It is quite possibly the most annoying, involuntary action your body can make:
the infamous eye twitch.

It's that annoying pulse thing your eyelid does sometimes. Makes you just wanna close your eyes or wear an eye patch like a pirate (argh!), or just hold your eyelid down and scream, "STOP IT EYEBALL!!!!"

My infamous eye twitch has recently gotten so annoying that I decided to ask the all-knowing...google. I asked, "why won't my eye stop twitching?" Google led me to WebMD.

The technical name of this annoyance is blepharospasm. It usually manifests itself as the upper eyelid twitching, but can also manifest itself as uncontrollable blinking. The major causes are also major parts of my life (go figure): fatigue, stress, and caffeine. I'm working on fixing the first two, but the third one helps with the first two so it will not be fixed any time soon. C'est la vie.

Keep in mind though, if this occurrence is regular for you, it could be a sign of a more significant issue and you should consult your eye doctor.

Another note: There are 3 main types of an eye twitch including minor eyelid twitch (which is what I'm talking about), benign essential blepharospasm, and hemifacial spasm. Take a look at the WebMD article for more specifics on these types, especially if you think you suffer from more than the minor eyelid twitch. If this is something that just happens occassionally (like it is for me), then don't fret. It's harmless and painless and is purely annoyance.

The cure? Decrease stress (ha! tell that to my life), sleep more (once again, pretty sure my life would get a kick out of that), and cut down the coffee (is "no" a good enough answer?)

Now it would be great if I could get mine to stop twitching so I could actually proofread this blog...juuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding...ish.

:-D

2 comments:

  1. Is it normal to have bruising after double eyelid surgery ??? It's been 5 days and the bruising just started showing up in the last 3 days and it looks like i got into a fight or something.

    It doesn't hurt at all but it looks weird and like bruising you get when you bump into something. It's mainly under my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Smita,

      I have not done much research nor do I have much experience with eyelid surgery. From what I understand about surgeries in general, bruising is normal and part of the healing process. However, I would strongly encourage you to call your doctor asap just to be on the safe side. The eyes are fragile and you should be extra cautious. Best of luck!

      AntiUnhealthy

      Delete