Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mexican restaurant? Nope...I'm on a diet.

I can't count the number of times I've said that (or at least thought it). Most of you probably have too at some point. Who doesn't love some delicious Latin food though? I honestly can't think of one person I know who doesn't love the taste. Let's not lie--they might not like what happens after consuming the food...but they sure do like it on the way down. Why shouldn't us lifelong dieters be able to enjoy that deliciousness too?? We should...

The problem with going to a, let's say, Mexican restaurant is that it's pretty difficult to make healthy choices. Here are a few tips to help you still get your Mexican fix and not feel guilty afterward:

1. Try not to eat the chips and salsa.
I know I know...it's delicious. But there's really no way to eat this appetizer and still come out high on the healthy-o-meter. Order a glass of water or a glass of unsweetened iced tea and chug it as soon as the waiter puts it down. This will make your belly feel full until your meal comes out. If people at your table want the chips and salsa, dominate whatever conversation is going on--don't stop talking to keep yourself occupied. Or, have them take it to THEIR side of the table--out of arms reach (if you're like me and have T-Rex arms, that won't be difficult).

2. Order a la carte.
These restaurants feed us as if we are about to go into hibernation. And somehow, we end up eating it all. That my friends, is called gluttonous behavior. Basically (and I'm guilty of this too...every time), they put enough food to feed an entire country in Africa in front of us and we go to town. If you order a la carte, the servings come out smaller. Every Mexican restaurant I've ever been to has had an extensive a la carte menu. They have it for those of us who feel like we need something extra. Instead, use it to make your own meal!

3. Stay away from hard shell tacos.
Those babies are deep fried. Need I say more?

4. Fajitas are a fairly safe choice.
Granted we don't know exactly what's in the sauce they cook it in, but it's probably one of your best choices. You've got veggies, grilled meats, and YOU control the amount of toppings you put on it. It's a gimme.

5. Go for the healthier tortilla option.
Some restaurants have a gluten free or whole wheat tortilla option. If they do, take it. Now listen, they don't taste as yummy as the normal kind. I'm not gonna lie to ya. But do you want your tortilla to be the best part of your meal? or what's inside that tortilla to be the best part of your meal? what's inside it, silly!!! Plus you're the one reading this right now...you should be willing to make mini sacrifices.

6. Don't order a margarita.
If you don't know why, then we should talk. By drinking a margarita, you might be having fun, but your blood sugar is gonna go through the roof. When I say 1500 calories in one drink, I'm really not kidding. Not worth it...trust me.

7. Eat more beans, less rice.
Beans actually have health benefits to them. The rice used in these restaurants is refined which basically means you're eating empty calories. Have a few bites of the rice if you must, but go for the beans first. Beans, beans, they're good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you...(go ahead and laugh like a 10-year-old boy...it's fine)

8. Add pepper, not salt.
ESPECIALLY in a Mexican restaurant, peeps--you should want a little spice. If something isn't satisfying you, add pepper to get that extra little kick. It works.

I hope you found these tips helpful. Give them a shot next time you go to a Mexican joint. Don't be skeeeeeered. Stay Strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment